Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Supporting striking workers at Birmingham City Council

Today I stopped off on my way home from nights to give my support to striking workers at Birmingham City Council. UNISON members are striking along with members of Unite, GMB and UCATT, over an enforced deal which cuts the pay of some workers by thousands and not delivering what is necessary for others, while at the same time attacking the terms and conditions of all staff (apart from the most senior managers of course).


I joined the picket outside the Council House in the city centre (which is on my way home). It was great that Labour Councillors joined the pickets today. The mood of the members I spoke to was upbeat and determined to win, with many on strike motivated by the desire to support their colleagues who would be loosing out. Early report look that the Birmingham Branch have been very successful in getting their members out. I wish I could be there at lunchtime in Victoria Square as thousands of members will rally outside the Council House, but sadly I have to get some sleep before my shift tonight.
Further strike action is on the cards if today fails to force an agreement and our members in Birmingham deserve our support and solidarity.

3 comments:

Graeme Horn said...

Great to see you with us on the picket line, James.
The rally went really well over the lunchtime, with several thousand attending. Even ha eavy downpour did not deter most from staying to the very end. There should be good coverage, particularly on ITV news tonight.

We also held 16 street-side protests on the main arterial routes into the city after picketting in the morning. The one I attended on Broad Street was very effective, with a great show of support from passing motorists.

I'm looking forward now to the next negotiating meeting with the city council. Surely today must demonstrate how serious our members are about this dispute.

Anonymous said...

I was in Brum on Tuesday but didn't have the time to seek out a picket line to offer my solidarity. But overall I thought the strike got a fair airing on the Midlands news that evening, and it was inspiring to see so many workers rallying and on the picket lines. Best of luck and solidarity greetings from Stoke!

Anonymous said...

Hi James

good report from Birmingham

this is actually a message for Graeme - you haven't replied to my email, if you get a chance that would be great

cheers
Paul
Coventry member (PC)