Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Off to Cuba - but missing so much back in the UK

So I'm taking a break amidst packing and sorting for my trip to Cuba. We'll be flying in the morning. I will be there with around a 40 young trade unionists from the UK, from lots of different unions. There will also be young trade unionists from across the world there together.




One of the sad things is that I'll be away at such a key time, so I thought I'd leave my blog readers with some key messages.

Vote Labour!
Local Elections taking place in various places across England and Wales, and of course the all important London elections. People may feel like giving the government a kicking at this election, but remember the power of that vote and think of the effect on our public services and our members with Tory and Liberal administrations.

Stop the BNP!


If there's any BNP candidates near you then get out there and make sure the anti-fascist vote is mobilised against them. Important everywhere, but with PR it's hugely important in London.

Support striking workers

With other unions in national action on Thursday and of course UNISON's biggest branch here in Birmingham on a two day strike tomorrow and Thursday.



I was able to get to the picket line in February for Birmingham's 1 day strike, and sorry I can't make it again this time. If you're near Birmingham find a picket line and go and give your support, which I'm sure will be welcomed by our members on the picket line.

Off the plane then straight back to it

When I get back it will be straight up to Glasgow for the National Young Members Weekend, which I hope to see you at. Apologies in advance if I'm a bit jet-lagged!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

James not a word in over a month, starting to think you have forgotton about us!!

Anonymous said...

James - where are you when we need you? Not still in Cuba, I trust?